MEMORY IN PRACTICE
During World War II there were more than 400 units of collective accommodation for forced laborers in the Munich area alone. In some cases the barracks were erected in the immediate vicinity of places of work or on company premises. In others, schools, gymnasiums, or guesthouses were converted into housing. Today, there are virtually no visible signs of these historic buildings. The photographer Hadas Tapouchi visited 30 of these sites, seeking to make their former presence come alive again. The interactive map of the city invites you to document changes in the urban space yourself and to share them with others, thus forging a connection between physical historical sites and digital memory space.
List of former forced labor camps in Munich
All information are based on the data base of the Munich Documentation Centre for the History of National Socialism.
101 bis 500 Personen
Simon-Knoll-Platz 3
Sommerstraße 29
St. Veit-Straße 70
Steinerstraße 6 (previously: Nr. 4)
From 1942 to 1945, the Kaiser-Ludwig-Heim of the Munich Bakers’ Guild housed the work detail 2911 of Stalag VIIa with 40 French prisoners of war who had to work in surrounding bakeries.
Steinstraße 24
The work detail of prisoners from Dachau concentration camp was assembled in July 1944 for the purpose of removing unexploded ordnance and cleaning up after bombing raids and they were housed in the Stielerschule gymnasium. From there, the prisoners were driven to Romanstraße, where a reporting point for unexploded ordnance was located, and then taken in groups of six, accompanied by pyrotechnics specialists of the armed forces, to their work sites to carry out the highly dangerous work. Numerous prisoners died until April 1945 during the removal and defusing of the duds. Their exact number can no longer be determined.
Stielerstraße 6
South of Schacky-Straße am Knie
French prisoners of war were housed in the dance hall of the guesthouse. The house was completely destroyed in an air raid in 1944.
Tegernseer Landstraße 11
Thalkirchner Straße 264
Ten prisoners from the Dachau concentration camp were employed at the L. Ehrengut company, a sawmill with carpentry, from April to September 1942. They were used in the production of components for military barracks and were housed in a barrack on the factory premises. Concentration camp prisoners were used in the company as early as March 1942, but at first they still returned to Dachau every day. In 1944, a camp for Polish forced labourers was located there.
4 bis 10 Personen
Thalkirchner Straße 270
Thalkirchner Straße 31-33
Warngauer Straße
Weißenburger Straße 26
51 bis 100 Personen
Welserstraße 34a
today Westpark (west of the Kugelbrunnen)
Westendstraße 260
Willibaldstraße 21
Zielstattstraße 65
Camp of prisoner of war work detail 2916.
Gögginger Straße 15
Pullach, Kreuzeckstr. 26
At the end of August 1942, a work detail of 30 prisoners from the Dachau concentration camp and 7 guards came to Freimann for the construction of the production facility of the Bartolith company (order from the SS construction management for construction timber panels made of a mixture of wood and concrete). In November 1942, the work detail was enlarged to about 80 prisoners and production began. The meagre rations for the prisoners were delivered from Dachau concentration camp. Because of the inadequate food and the hard work, prisoners collapsed almost every day, exhausted. Prisoners were mistreated by the SS guards and the son of the company owner. People unable to work were brought back to Dachau and replaced. In July 1943, the job was completed and the prisoner work detail was transferred back to Dachau concentration camp.
51 bis 100 Personen
Floriansmühlstraße
Truderinger Straße 17
Schillerstraße 12
today Schillerstraße 11a
Müllerstraße 47
Schwanthalerstraße 18























